Thursday 5 June 2014

How Hotbuckle productions made me love Dickens ~ Theatre Thursday


My meaning simply is, that whatever I have tried to do in life, I have tried with all my heart to do well; that whatever I have devoted myself to, I have devoted myself to completely; that in great aims and in small, I have always been thoroughly in earnest. ~ David Copperfield

Recently, with family health problems etc. time with my mum has become a precious part of my routine, so about once a month or so we spend the day together and drink lots of coffee.

A few months back our 'mother and daughter' day consisted of going to see a play in our local theatre.  To be honest, I was a little hesitant. Don't get me wrong, I loved drama class at school and really appreciated the productions we got to see but it had been a couple of years since I'd seen a play. On top of this we were going to see David Copperfield, a book I tried to read twice as a child and still couldn't get my head around. With my preconceived ideas from childhood, despite my love of the classics, I had written off Dickens.

But I went with an open mind, and I couldn't have been proved more wrong. Not only was the production extremely entertaining, but I found myself moved, which was something I really didn't expect. The story came alive like I had never been able to picture in my head, and I found that actually, I quite like David Copperfield.

Much praise has to be given to the amazing production company. They switched through characters flawlessly, and somehow I found myself truly believing that a grown man was just a small innocent boy, or a folded up piece of fabric was a yappy dog! The intimate and honest feeling throughout the evening really touched my heart and I think it will be a night I will find it hard to forget. I was delighted as well that live music was an essential part of the production (musicians as well as actors, Impressive right?) it echoed my own love of music and really helped express the moments where words just weren't enough.

Hotbuckle productions will be touring with Jane Austens Persuasion next and I'm very excited to see what the future holds for them.

Please share the love and give them the nescessary support they so rightly deserve!

Much love, Beth xxx


Me and mum in the audience...

No comments:

Post a Comment